Introduction to Providence
Providence PCA Church, in Milford Township, Quakertown, Pa, is located 45 miles north of Philadelphia. Over the last 5 years the church has grown 20% in communicant members. With an average worship attendance of 154, Providence seeks to “grow a family to reach a community”. Please visit our website for more information: providence-pca.org.
Church and Associate Pastor Direction
As the Lord is pleased to give increase to Providence, the session of the church remains in discussion and prayer about immediate and longer-term needs of the church and how best to provide pastoral ministry to a growing congregation. Longer-term the summary growth direction of the church is one of planting new churches.
Providence is focused on preaching that is Christ-centered, reformed and expository in nature. Currently, the ministry of the teaching elder functions part-time in the church (currently has other campus ministry responsibilities outside the church) as Senior Pastor and Pastor of Preaching. He is focused primarily on preaching and teaching of the Word in the church. The full-time Associate Pastor will primarily focus on ministry and shepherding, sharing this with the ruling elders. He will occasionally preach.
Lord willing, the church will continue this team model. As the church grows the session will reevaluate how to care for the church.
Given these directions, what follows is the area of responsibilities for the Associate Pastor role. These will be refined together with the pastor filling this role.
Associate Pastor Proposed Responsibilities
- The Associate Pastor of Providence will co-labor with the Session, Deacons and Pastor of Preaching to fulfill the Providence vison and goals for the Lord’s kingdom and his church.
- The Associate Pastor will minister to the church and community with a primary focus to develop leadership of lay ministers, to extend grace and comfort to the members, and to oversee the various functions in the church in order to strengthen its unity as the body of Christ
- Maintain and develop Christ-centered gospel outreach as a core value of the church in all its ministries.
Preaching and Teaching
- Pulpit Supply – coordinate with Pastor of Preaching who is expected to be away 8 Sundays per year
- Develop and lead class for new members & new Christians
- Teaching classes and courses periodically
- Maintain and develop Providence’s shepherding network with oversight for the home fellowship groups, elder visitation, mentoring, and the fellowship team.
- Develop plan to ensure new and current members (working with elders) are properly assimilated in the life of the church
- Develop a church-wide shepherding plan with the Pastor of Preaching to encourage and train the elders in their shepherding roles.
- Work with and encourage the deacons in mercy ministry for the members of the church (e.g. visitation of the sick and home-bound members) and in the community
- Shepherding of specific families assigned by the session
- Shepherd and care across all age groups in the church with the elders
- Assist the Discipleship Team and its ministry leader to develop discipleship training for all ages
- Develop and promote Discipleship Team events at the church and at other locations, e.g. children’s ministries, outside speakers, conferences, seminars. etc.
- Oversee and shepherd the Women’s Ministry leadership
- Oversee and shepherd youth ministry leadership
Bible Studies and Outreach
- Work with the Outreach Team to develop gospel centered ministries
- Oversee Welcoming team and follow-up with visitors
- Lead / oversee and train those with gifts for evangelism
- Lead / oversee the training of members on being a witness for Christ
- Lead / oversee community outreach efforts
- Train and encourage ministry leaders to incorporate gospel outreach into their teams
Personal development in Ministry
- Be devoted to personal study of Scripture and prayer for himself, his family, the worship and various ministries and members of the church
- Read and seek out personal training experiences (courses, seminars) for ministry development with guidance from the session.
- Meet with Pastor of Preaching regularly for coordination and mutual encouragement/development
- Meet regularly with session members for mutual mentoring
Other Areas of Ministry
- May conduct and/or administer the following special events and services when requested with oversight and assistance from the Pastor of Preaching and the worship team.
- Marriage counseling and ceremony
- Special Church Services
- Session and Administration
- Attend session and presbytery meetings
- Give time management report to session every six months
- Participate in church administrative tasks
- involved with budgeting
- quarterly leadership summit
- handle regular church mail/email administrative assistant
- help develop and coordinate church communications
- work with and encourage church’s administrative assistant.
- Qualified to receive a call as a Teaching Elder in the PCA.
- a seminary degree and to be ordained or be ordainable in the Presbyterian Church in America
- a thorough knowledge of, and commitment to, Reformed Theology and Presbyterian Government and practice
- a demonstrated ability to preach and teach the Bible, lead worship, and enjoy working with a variety of people.
- Philosophy of ministry clearly reflects a reformed world and life view, is built on prayer and the ministry of the Word (to include expository preaching), and is grace oriented.
- Experience in pastoral ministry or Christian ministry is preferred
- good listening and communication skills
- the ability to train, encourage and equip others
- the ability to lead ministries
- Exercise hospitality with members and outside the church to build relationships for gospel ministry, spend time with the families of the church outside of regular services, events and ministry times
- When possible, they should use their home for hospitality.
- They should also look for ways to bring new people into the church and be a gospel witness to their neighbors and friends.
- The Associate Pastor should have a healthy understanding of ministry as part of a team with an accompanying respect for one’s role within an organization.
- He should have a desire to use this opportunity to grow and develop in practical ministry under the oversight of others.
- The Associate Pastor should have a strong working knowledge of
- computers (to include Microsoft Office)
- be adept at operating on the Internet wisely
- possess an understanding of social media and how it can be best used to help execute the church’s mission
A background investigation check is required for this position and will be necessary for those candidates who are invited for a visit.
Items 1-3 should be in a single file and sent to the email address below. Item 4 should be completed and submitted to the PCA Administrative Committee.
- One Page Cover Letter including a self–assessment of your “fit” for this position.
- Two Page Personal Biography with an emphasis on God’s grace in your life.
- Detailed Resume with emphasis on personal ministry experience including contact information of three references, one of which can speak to your professional experience.
- PCA Ministerial Data Form (To request a copy of the MDF, please email PCA Administrative Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- Please email application to email@example.com
You can see a typical Providence Church Sunday worship service by going here.